What is the fruit of the kingdom ?
It can be great relationships at depicted in Acts 2:42 where they were devoted to the apostles teaching, fellowship, breaking of bread and to prayer.
It can be great personal attributes as listed in Gal 5:21-22, love, joy, peace, patience.
But I really think it meant combining the last two in the fruit of people knowing Christ and becoming disciple’s that are the real fruit.
Jesus said in His own words that He came to seek and save what was lost Luk 19:10.
Paul wrote that God the Father wants all people to come to the knowledge of the truth and to be saved 1 Tim 2:4.
So to sum up what Solomon said, the wisest guy that ever lived on the earth except Jesus who is God in the flesh, Prov 11:30 talks about the fruit of the righteous is a tree of light and he who wins souls is wise.
Am I bearing the fruit of the Kingdom? Am I about my Fathers business, like Jesus said.
What would Jesus say about my farm and my fellow workers? Do we produce the crop that Jesus expects to get?
a. One who embraces and assists in spreading the teachings of another.
b. An active adherent, as of a movement or philosophy.
c. One of the original followers of Jesus.
So let us break down the definition:
a. If I embrace the teaching it surely changes my life. If I assist in spreading the teaching that means it is part of my life.
b. An active adherent means I follow diligently the teachings, not just say it but my life does not show it. Movement means I do not do it just as an individual but I am part of a group who does it actively.
c. Ok we cannot be one of the original followers of Jesus, but we can immitate their lifestyles. A follower means that what that person personified in their character, values & their purpose; you will impliment in your life.
Let’s have a look at the most famous scripture on being a disciple:
“Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted.Then Jesus came to them and said, ‘All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.’” – Matt. 28:16-20 NIVUK
What we can glean of this scripture:
– A disciple goes. Just like a fisherman goes out to fish for fish a disciple also have to go out to fish
– A disciple makes disciple. You are not by default a disciple, you have to be made into one by another disciple.
– A disciple makes disciples of all nations. All nations sounds like the United Nations, it encompass all races and ethnical backgrounds.
– A disciple baptizes disciples. So yes, it is not just the preacher who do the baptizing.
– A disciple teaches disciples to obey. That means that you have someone in your life that is more mature / committed than you who mentors you and keep you accountable. All great athletes had coaches that took them to a level which they would have never achieved if it wasn’t for their coach.
– When a disciple makes disciples, Jesus assures us that He is with us till the end of time.
Jesus commanded us to go and make disciples.
Does that mean that we have to go and make believers ? I dont think so.
– The Bible talks about being sanctified (which really means being set apart to live the life God envisioned for you fulfilling His purpose He planned for you) and not living a worldly life which amounts to nothing eternally.
– Question: Who are you following and what is the eternal consequences of that path ur following?
– A convert on the other hand believes all this but he does not live the life, believing he will go to heaven without loving God by obeying the truth.
“Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.”
Hebrews 11:1 NIV
“And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”
Hebrews 11:6 NIV
“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Niv
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.””
Jeremiah 29:11-14 Niv