“Therefore, since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.” – 2 Corinthians 7:1 NIV
Does smoking purify or contaminates your body ?
If I give you some water to drink and I tell you there might be a chance that you might be poisoned a little bit; will you drink that water ?
So the real origin of sin is lack of reverence for God, which is really just pride. You would rather do your will than God’s.
“You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us? But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says: “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”” – James 4:4-6 NIV
Your pride makes you God’s enemy. Wow scary. Definately don’t want to be God’s enemy. Imagine living with God’s opposition !!! Sound like a tough life.
Lets look at what research shows
What are the fruits of smoking ?
Copy from NHS website – Click to read article
Smoking is one of the biggest causes of death and illness in the UK.
Every year around 100,000 people in the UK die from smoking, with many more living with debilitating smoking-related illnesses.
Smoking increases your risk of developing more than 50 serious health conditions. Some may be fatal and others can cause irreversible long-term damage to your health.
You can become ill:
- if you smoke yourself
- through other people’s smoke (passive smoking)
Smoking health risks
Smoking causes about 90% of lung cancers. It also causes cancer in many other parts of the body, including the:
- voice box (larynx)
- oesophagus (the tube between your mouth and stomach)
Smoking damages your heart and your blood circulation, increasing your risk of developing conditions such as:
- coronary heart disease
- heart attack
- peripheral vascular disease (damaged blood vessels)
- cerebrovascular disease (damaged arteries that supply blood to your brain)
Smoking also damages your lungs, leading to conditions such as:
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), which incorporates bronchitis and emphysema
Smoking can also worsen or prolong the symptoms of respiratory conditions such as asthma, or respiratory tract infections such as the common cold.
In men, smoking can cause impotence because it limits the blood supply to the penis. It can also reduce the fertility of both men and women.
Health risks of passive smoking
Secondhand smoke comes from the tip of a lit cigarette and the smoke that the smoker breathes out.
Breathing in secondhand smoke – also known as passive smoking – increases your risk of getting the same health conditions as smokers. For example, breathing in secondhand smoke increases a non-smoker’s risk of developing lung cancer by about a quarter.
Babies and children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of secondhand smoke. A child who is exposed to passive smoke is at increased risk of developing chest infections, meningitis, a persistent cough and, if they have asthma, their symptoms will get worse. They’re also at increased risk of cot death and an ear infection called glue ear.
If you smoke when you’re pregnant, you put your unborn baby’s health at risk, as well as your own. Smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of complications such as:
- premature (early) birth
- a low birth weight baby
Read more in Why should I stop smoking if I’m pregnant?
“Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?” – Romans 6:16 NIV
Does your smoking lead to death or to righteousness ?
You “belong” to the power you choose to obey…
“Dear friends, I urge you, as foreigners and exiles, to abstain from sinful desires, which wage war against your soul. Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.” – 1 Peter 2:11-12 niv
Is smoking a sinful or Godly desire ?
Will you glorify God and see it as a good deed ?
How are you using your smoking to glorify God ?
Keep clear of the desires of your lower natures, for they are always at war with your souls.
“Therefore, brothers and sisters, we have an obligation—but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it. For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live. For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.” – Romans 8:12-14 NIV
When you smoke what do you fill yourself up with, God or your addiction ?
Why do people smoke outside ? Why don’t you share your smoke with your kids because it is good for you, it should be good for them ?
Is smoking good for you or bad for you ? If you believe smoking is good for you, do you encourage your kids to smoke with you ?
What are you sowing and what do you expect to reap ? Are you sowing to please your sinful nature or to be filled with the Spirit ?
“Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister. I am convinced, being fully persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for that person it is unclean. If your brother or sister is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy someone for whom Christ died. Therefore do not let what you know is good be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and receives human approval. Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall. So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the one who does not condemn himself by what he approves. But whoever has doubts is condemned if they eat, because their eating is not from faith; and everything that does not come from faith is sin”. – Romans 14:13-23 NIV
Have you ever asked yourself why do you smoke ?
- Opportunity to have a chat with ur friends or colleagues – Lack conversatinal skills
- Peer pressure because I want to fit in with my friends / colleagues to be cool and be accepted by them – Have a low self-esteem
- I want to die and smoking is a passive way to achieve that
- I like wasting money and paying for cigarets is a means to that
- To ease my stress – Don’t have a positive way to deal with ur problems and using smoking to escape their lives
- I cannot stop because I am addicted -No self-control
- It is fun and keep you awake – You have a misguided belief that killing yourself and causing you harm in ur future is a good thing
- It keeps your weight down
- It makes you look badass – Have a low self-esteem
- It annoys people you hate –
- Psychologically Dependent
- Socially Integrates you – You look to hang out with the popular crowd
- You are Mirroring Others – Lack Confidence, Not following Jesus
- You enjoy smoking, it’s like using heroine – Need a drug to prop you up
- Experimentation /Adventure – Juvenile tendencies
- To act older
- To feel relaxed
- To think properly
There’s no way around it. Smoking is definitely the worst habit one can have. However, people would rather enjoy a cigarette instead of taking care of their health.
Moreover, people are not fully aware of the detrimental effects of smoking. However, if you are not concerned about the future, at least, focus on your present and try to live healthy.
What Happens With Your Body When You Stop Smoking
Giving up smoking is the best decision in your life, as you will enjoy the health benefits of it almost instantly. In fact, in as little as 20 minutes, you will start to enjoy the benefits of your decision.
1. Your blood pressure levels will be normalized in the very first 20 minutes.
2. The carbon monoxide levels in the bloodstream will be reduced by half within 8 hours. Consequently, the oxygen levels will normalize.
3. Within 48 hours, nicotine will be fully eliminated from the body, and your senses of taste and smell will come back to normal. In addition, you will have reduced the risk of heart attack, too.
4. Within 72 hours, your experience an energy boost and your airways will be able to relax.
5. Your blood circulation will improve in 2 weeks, and it will continue at this pace in the next 10 days.
6. The capacity of your lungs will increase by 10 percent in 3-9 months. As a result, any respiratory issues, such as coughing and breathing problems, will start decreasing.
7. Your risk of heart attack will reduce by half in 1 year.
8. Your risk of stroke will be the same as non-smokers in 5 years.
9. Your risk of developing lung cancer will be the same as the one of the non-smokers in 10 years.
10. Finally, you will have the same risk of heart attack as non-smokers in 15 years.
Smoking Canabis / Dagga / Weed
Users can find themselves in a downward spiral. They drop out of school, fail to find employment, grow alienated from family and friends and become fully dependent on not just drugs but also welfare benefits (File photo)